Contributors

7.6.08

Bumbly, cacophonous, red-eyed bugs

I said I'd write on identity again, but I had one of those moments today where I said, "what an amazing and creative God we serve." I went to look at a house we are going to rent, and, as I turned the corner, I heard the unmistakable sound of cicadas singing. And loud.

I remember reading a few weeks ago in The Towers (Southern's campus newspaper) about the emergence of a kind of cicada that only comes out every seventeen years. Without repeating what Guy Fredrick wrote, I've got to say that, just for a moment, I was amazed. There were thousands of these insects in the trees. A few days ago, they had crawled out of thousands of tiny holes beneath the tree after seventeen (17, dix-sept, ten-plus-seven, eleven years more than Daniel's been around) years of preparation. When these guys climbed down to bury themselves, another Clinton actually had the presidential nomination.

If all the animals and people and bugs happened by chance, how did these critters come to be? No, our Creator willfully and carefully made everything that exists, even bugs with no apparent purpose but who, for a few days, sing and make summer really seem like summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come on man... is this all you got! Everything going on in the SBC world and you're amazed at Cicadas! I laughed my butt off man! I thought you were a rough and tumble Tennessean and that you guys, like us Kentuckians, could survive on these tasty morsels if you had to! All that time in France made you soft Bro.

I actually did eat one alive the last time they came out en-masse. I was in the 8th grade and willing to do anything to get attention...

I see my blog hasn't yet made your "Blogs I read" space! Well, I'll have to change all that...

I'm looking forward to seeing you in Indy. I think I remember you saying you would be there, right? If so, I'll chat with you there... and in true (John the) Baptist fashion, we'll split a chocolate- dipped cicada.

Terry Leap
pastorleap.wordpress.com