Contributors

6.6.08

Identity

I had breakfast with a former colleague yesterday morning. We talked at length about our experience together, as well as the way it made him feel when we didn't go back to France. He's a great guy -- no condemnation, just honesty. It was tough on us to leave and tough on his family, too.

My friend asked me a good question: what has changed? You spent all those years telling people you were called to the field, now you're called to Southern. How's that work?

Hm. His question caused me to think. Who am I? I struggled when we reached the field because I wasn't "the preacher" any more. Now, I'm no longer "the missionary." Who am I? Have I changed?

No. I haven't. OK, I am a different person than I was when we went to Paris. I'm a different person today than I was last July. Our experiences make us different. But my identity has not changed, because my true identity is not "the preacher" or "the missionary." My true identity is found in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 1-3 reminds me that because I belong to Christ, I am chosen, accepted, blessed, forgiven, and redeemed. I am an heir and member of God's household, sealed and secure with access to the Creator of the universe, freedom to go into His presence.

That's who I am.

Of course, who I am makes me do what I do. More on that tomorrow...

No comments: