Contributors

12.6.08

My own SBC wrapup


I've surveyed many of the posts about this week's meeting of the Southern Baptist Convention in Indianapolis. This one was unusual for me for several reasons. First, it was my first after five years overseas where the only word we had about the SBC was through bloggers and Baptist Press. Second, it was my first where I did not serve as a messenger but rather as an agency employee. I should also add a disclaimer: I only attended the NAMB report and the session containing the IMB report. The rest of the time, I was working the Southern Seminary booth or hanging out with the prettiest woman I know.

Here are a few of my observations, none of which deal much with denominational politics (I do tend to be interested in those), regenerate church membership (I do believe in it), or Ed Stetzer's twittering:

1. Indianapolis was a great place for the convention. I must admit that I was a little surprised. Most of the downtown hotels are connected to the convention center, the area is open and welcoming with lots to do when not amending resolutions or gathering pens and toothbrushes, and there are over a hundred restaurants. We ate at Hard Rock the first night (great brisket sandwich). Tuesday, Melanie and I snuck over to the Weber Grill restaurant. Every time we went in or out of our hotel, we could smell this place. I had a 24 ounce (yes, twenty-four) pork chop that was out of this world good. Didn't get the Guidestone cholesterol check after that one.

2. I really enjoyed being in the exhibit area, seeing old friends, and meeting some new ones. I love telling ministers about what's going on at Southern Seminary, especially in the D.Min program and the brand new Center for Urban Ministry Training. I saw some guys from my doctoral classes, a middle school friend whom I haven't seen in 25 years, and Tim Spencer, who led me to Christ in 1985.

And, yes, I did see Jerry Rankin Tuesday night and told him thanks for his leadership of the organization that allowed me to share Christ in Paris. He hugged Melanie's neck and told us that we would always be a part of the IMB family. Possibly the highlight of the week (beating even the pork chop).

3. Did anyone else notice that Ed Stetzer and Richard Land had the exact same hair? If I can find a picture of their moment together at the ERLC booth, I'll put it up.

4. The only business session I attended was the last (just before the IMB report). Someone tried to amend a resolution on the California supreme court decision on homosexual marriage to make it another "let's pull our kids out of the public school" resolution. Debate ended with a veteran school teacher standing at the microphone saying something like, "don't underestimate our Christian students." I don't know who she was, but that was good stuff.

5. I was asked at one point who Southern Seminary supported for SBC president. I responded that Southern Seminary does not send messengers and that there were six good candidates for president. I believe that, and am thankful for those men, each of whom had the future of the SBC at heart. My only other glory moment was when Wiley Drake interviewed me for his radio show. He asked, "how can someone get more information about Southern Seminary?" I answered, "www.sbts.edu." End of interview.

6. As usual, I was moved by the NAMB and IMB reports. In spite of the IMB choice of colors (green on everything), the "go and tell the story of Jesus" theme will stay with me. And I like the fact that the new NAMB intitiative doesn't have goals or numbers, rather the simple and biblical vision that everyone share so that everyone hears.

7. I'd be curious to know how many mints, pens, highlighters, toothbrushes, buttons, stickers, and bags were given away this week. Not to mention pennants, hats, books, and nifty little things from the Executive Committee that hold your tie in place. I'm thinking my favorite was the South American nativity from the IMB.

8. Speaking of the IMB, it was good to see the emphasis on South America. Jerry Rankin asked the key question Wednesday night: "isn't South America reached?" And the clear answer was that there is much to do all over the world. "Go and Tell" means go everywhere.

9. My kids had a ball. Rachel went to an abbreviated Centrifuge camp, and the boys went to children's programs. Both boys came having memorized Hebrews 4:12, complete with a very animated demonstration of piercing and bones and marrow. Kudos to the kids programs.

10. Now, it's over. Let's go and tell.


1 comment:

pastorleap said...

What can I say... you are the man. Good comments with which I concur.

And nothing about cicadas... wow... you're growing in the Lord indeed.

I really enjoyed spending time with you and Melanie at the SBC and pray for you guys in your continued "adjustment" period. If I can help in any way, give me a ring.

Terry