Contributors

18.6.08

Young Leaders in the SBC

In his post today at Biblical Church Growth, Dr. Chuck Lawless wrote an "open letter" to young Southern Baptists. Although I am leaving that category more rapidly than I care to admit, I have sympathized with the cry for more openness among the leadership of the SBC and state conventions toward young pastors, ministers, and laypeople. It does seem that certain groups have dominated boards and committees. I, too, have noticed that young leaders who are appointed to these boards often have close ties to what some would call the "power structures."

But Lawless issues a clear call that we should consider. He wisely suggests that we should consider our history and show some respect to those who have paved the way. He went to his first convention meeting in 1985 (I was a brand new believer and still in high school). Back then, people weren't arguing about regenerate church membership or Calvinism. Men like Paige Patterson, Adrian Rogers, and Jimmy Draper, all of whom would readily admit their flaws and failures, were fighting to return to the authority of the Scripture in our denomination.

Even more importantly, Lawless touches on what I believe to be one of the greatest issues for young Southern Baptist leaders today: humility. In the last paragraph of his post, he encourages us to "be both patient and persistent with us, modeling humility for us in all that you do." I am reminded of Paul's admonition to Timothy to "set the example" in spite of his youth (1 Timothy 4:12).

I am also reminded of Romans 12, when Paul reminds his reader "not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think" (v 3) and to "outdo one another in showing honor" (v 10). Peter says it even more clearly. Yes, he commands elders not to "domineer" over those in their charge, but also writes "you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves in humility toward one another" (1 Peter 5:3, 5).

I am afraid that we as younger leaders have not shown much humility. We have not done as Lawless now encourages us to do. I know we do not often feel that our voices are heard. Let's earn a voice. If the elders won't listen, that's their issue to deal with God about. I know that we do not feel that we have a place at the table. I'm thinking Jesus modeled that a place at the table is not often what we should be striving for.

1 comment:

Perry McCall said...

Great post. I agree and I have been guilty of these charges!!

I don't like leaving the ranks of the "younger" leaders either!!!